Large natural gas leak leads to street closure, evacuations in downtown Columbus
Published 3:49 pm Monday, July 17, 2023
Gas line damaged during landscaping
COLUMBUS—Officials had to evacuate businesses on Monday in downtown Columbus after a large natural gas leak was reported on Ward St.
Columbus Fire Department and Tryon Fire Department worked to contain the gas leak. The leak led to West Mills St. and Ward St. being completely shut down for several hours. All businesses in the area were evacuated.
Officials say a gas line was damaged while landscaping was being done near the Board of Elections office, formerly the Red Cross Building, at 231 Ward St., which caused the leak.
Water from hydrants was used to suppress vapors within town limits, according to Randy Herring with Polk County Maintenance.
Columbus Rescue Co. 22, Engine Co. 22 and Tryon Engine 27-3 were on the scene.