Historic Saluda Committee to sponsor Tour of Homes
Published 7:30 pm Friday, March 17, 2017
The Historic Saluda Committee will sponsor a Tour of Homes on Saturday, June 3, from 1 to 5 p.m., as a fundraiser for preservation projects in Saluda. Historic Shand Hill has been chosen as the site of this year’s tour. There will be five homes on Shand Hill to visit as well as the Saluda Historic Depot, Lola’s Celebration Venue at Thompson’s Store and the Saluda Presbyterian Church, all within walking distance of each other.
Tickets will be available at City Hall, Saluda Historic Depot and Heartwood Gallery in Saluda on May 1. Parking is available at the Saluda Elementary School, the Saluda Community Library and Tickle Family Health Center. There will also be a shuttle van to take you to Shand Hill from the Saluda Community Library, and golf carts will be available between houses.
The Historic Saluda Committee (HSC) works to preserve the history and heritage of its people and places that helped make Saluda the enchanting town it is today. The HSC puts a strong emphasis on collecting oral histories of Saluda’s citizens and “summer folk.” The HSC is a partner in the effort to purchase and open a historical museum.
For more information, contact Lynn Cass at 828-749-1975.
WHAT IS THE HISTORIC SALUDA COMMITTEE?
The Historic Saluda Committee, which was formed in June 2010, has completed four major projects and continues to coordinate the biennial Saluda Historic Tour of Homes.
Major projects include:
• Home, Hearth and History: Stories of Old Saluda, oral history film documentary, DVD, 2011
• Saluda, NC: Voices from the First 100 Years, re-mastered audio oral history recordings, CD, 2012
• Images of America: Saluda, book published by Arcadia Publishing Company, 2015
• Going Home: Saluda’s Music Traditions, oral history film documentary, DVD, 2016
– article submitted by Lynn Cass