Suspect in double-homicide investigation fatally shot by police in Landrum 

Published 9:54 pm Wednesday, January 17, 2024

No officers injured during incident, suspect brandished firearm 

LANDRUM—On Wednesday, January 17, around 7 p.m., a person of interest in a double-homicide investigation was shot and killed by deputies on Kirby Street in Landrum.

According to Lt. Ryan Flood with the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office, deputies located a male subject at 114 Kirby St. and attempted to make contact with him regarding the death of two females in Taylors, S.C.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

After several call outs were unsuccessful, the suspect exited the residence brandishing a firearm and failed to comply with officers’ commands. This led to multiple officers firing their weapons, killing the suspect. The suspect’s identity has not been released.

In total, six deputies from Greenville and Spartanburg counties fired their weapons during the incident and will be placed on paid leave, according to Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright.

No members of law enforcement were injured during the incident.

Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, officials responded to a house fire in Greenville County that became a double-homicide investigation after two women were found dead inside the home. The identities of the two victims are not available as of press time. Greenville County Sheriff Hobart Lewis said investigators believe the fire was set in an attempt to cover up the crime scene.

After deputies learned of a person of interest during their investigation, he was located in Landrum where the officer-involved shooting occurred. His vehicle’s tag was captured by a license plate reader, and investigators tracked it to the home on Kirby Street.

According to Sheriff Lewis, the suspect had a criminal record and was recently released from jail on bond. He was wearing an ankle monitor at the time of the shooting.

In addition to Greenville County deputies, Landrum Police Department and Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office were on the scene Wednesday night.

The South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division is also investigating the incident.