A small town with a big heart
Published 5:00 pm Saturday, May 20, 2023
“There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.” ~ John Calvin
The Saluda Arts Festival took place Saturday—one of my hands-down and thumbs up favorite days in our small town! Usually May weather cooperates, and I enjoyed strolling and visiting the artist booths, listening to live music throughout the day and just having a good time.
Cruising at a snail’s pace while poking along Main Street yesterday, I admired the new mural in place at Pace Park, loads of bright flowers in planters and park benches filled with folks young and old enjoying ice cream cones. Things are definitely spiffed up in town—the historic buildings, parks, sidewalks.
“The old gal has had a really nice face-lift,” I thought to myself. I’d like a dose of that lift!
Over the years, our Saluda Business Association has been a force in doing a lot of that spiffing, and even Old Grumpy (no names mentioned) has to notice all the upgrades and improvements. Naturally, the wheelbarrow, planters and baskets of flowers won my heart over. I’m thrilled with just how pretty everything looks.
Ah, it’s May, and things are abloom. It’s the perfect time for enjoying a care-free Saturday with mountain breezes, lots of art, smiling people and just hanging out in a small town with a big heart.
- Saluda Tailgate Market is held every Friday until October at the west city parking lot location off Main Street, 4:30-6 p.m., featuring fresh produce, local goods, plants, canned goods, and much more.
- Saluda Living in Place (SLIP) welcomes the 16-member Blue Ridge Bell Ringers for a performance of “Spring Dances” at Saluda School’s auditorium on May 21, 4 p.m. This event is free; for information contact SLIP at (828) 749-0049.
- At Saluda Library, Carrie Jensen is the featured artist of the month.
- Saluda Pop-Up Pantry is Tuesday from 1-6 p.m. by appointment at Saluda Presbyterian Church, 54 Carolina Avenue (behind Saluda Library).
- Happy May Birthday to: Amy Copeland, Corinne Gerwe, Chris Anderson, Mark Jackson, Cary Pace, Lisa Hipp, Trevor Young, Paul Marion, Jesse Thomas, Margaret Sease, Elizabeth Baldwin, Chad Baldwin, Lynn Cass, Thelma Jones, Betsy Burdett, Melia Bradley, June Taylor, Robin Kirby, Kevin Matthews, Susan Warrick, Robin Bradley and Stella Barnett. Add your birthday to the list—no ages mentioned unless you’re under 2 or over 100!
Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, (828) 817-6765, P.O. Box 331, Saluda, NC 28773, Facebook, or visit bonniebardos.com