One person sent to hospital after hazardous chemical situation in Tryon 

Published 12:17 pm Thursday, May 5, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Houses evacuated in Godshaw Hill area Thursday morning 


TRYON––Thursday morning, emergency responders in Tryon responded to a hazardous chemical situation in the Godshaw Hill community. Officials transported a resident from their home in Godshaw Hill to Spartanburg Regional by ambulance.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox


According to officials at Tryon Fire Department, pool chemicals had been improperly mixed and then off gassed chlorine, resulting in a hazardous chemical reaction. North Carolina HAZMAT team arrived on scene. By Thursday afternoon, the situation was no longer a threat to the public, however some units remained on scene to monitor conditions. 


The home where the improper mixture occurred and a neighboring  house were evacuated.


Officials put out a request for residents on Second Street, Broadway Street, Broadway Extension, Whitney Avenue, Whitney Ave Extension and Locust Street in Tryon to shelter in place until officials were able to clear the area. The shelter in place request was  lifted at approximately 12:40 p.m. Thursday afternoon.

A map of the approximate area where the hazardous chemical situation took place.

Tryon Fire Department, Tryon Police Department, Polk Emergency Management, and Polk EMS were all on the scene.


Captain Patrick Corn of Tryon Fire Department stresses to the public the importance of reading directions when using pool chemicals this summer, and that they should never be mixed indoors. He encourages those using pool chemicals to contact a professional if they have any hesitancy or questions about mixing chemicals.