Polk adds 53 cases

Published 9:35 pm Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

County hits record of most COVID-19 cases in one week 

POLK COUNTY—Polk County had a record number last week of COVID-19 by adding 53 cases. 

The county has surpassed 500 cases since March, with Friday’s number being 504 cases total. 

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Polk County has had 13 deaths from the virus, with cumulative hospitalizations remaining at 38 as of last Friday. 

The county has completed 11,146 tests, with 446 people presumed recovered and 106 tests still pending as of last Friday. 

Most of Polk’s cases have been in women, at 54.17 percent, with the remaining 45.83 percent begin male. 

Most of the county’s cases have been in people age 25-49, followed by age 50-64; 65-74 and 75 and above, according to the Polk County Health and Human Service Agency’s latest data. 

As of Tuesday morning, North Carolina had a total of 399,362 positive cases, had completed 5,630,137 tests and 2,240 people were currently hospitalized from the virus. 

Locally, Buncombe County had 6,204 cases and 134 deaths; Henderson County had 3,433 cases and 73 deaths; Rutherford County had 2,811 cases and 80 deaths and  Transylvania County had 611 cases and 9 deaths, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.