Tryon native Maddy Arrowood named Editor-in-Chief for The Daily Tarheel   

Published 11:06 pm Wednesday, April 10, 2019

UNC-Chapel Hill’s independent student newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, and its communications agency, 1893 Brand Studio, announced new student leadership for the 2019-2020 academic year.  

Rising senior Maddy Arrowood will assume the role of editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel (Chapel Hill, NC). 

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Arrowood, a journalism and American history major from Tryon, will assume the editor position as the public face of the student newspaper, one of the nation’s best. As editor-in-chief, Arrowood will be responsible for publishing all content and hiring leadership positions in the newsroom, including eight desk editors who oversee more than 150 student writers, photographers, copy editors and graphic designers.  

Arrowood was selected by the DTH Editor Selection Committee, a panel made up of all the constituencies served by The Daily Tar Heel — DTH students, students unaffiliated with the DTH, a former DTH editor, a community member and UNC faculty/staff member. 

A member of the DTH staff since her first year at UNC, Arrowood currently serves as copy chief and has worked previously on the copy, city and investigation desks. Bringing experience in both the writing and production side of the newspaper, she hopes to lead a newsroom that will match readers’ demands in the digital age.  

“It comes by encouraging the idea that when there’s a big snow storm, you don’t always need a big, in-depth enterprise piece about what the implications of the snow storms are,” Arrowood said. “Sometimes you just want a list of what restaurants are open.” 

– Submitted by Erica Perel