New Roof for Roseland
Published 12:44 pm Tuesday, March 19, 2019
Thanks to a generous grant from the Cannon Foundation, Roseland Community Center now has a much-needed new roof that replaces the aging roof installed back in 1993.
The Cannon Foundation, based in Concord, NC, awards grants to fund a range of community projects throughout North Carolina. Joseph Fox, Roseland Vice President, noted that the new roof is part of the ongoing “Eastside Renaissance,” announced last year as a sustained effort to preserve Roseland and revitalize the historic Eastside Community of Tryon. Warren Carson, longtime Roseland President, said, “Every decade or so, Roseland has to remake itself so that it remains the vital community force that it has been since it was established in 1940. We are grateful to the Cannon Foundation for helping us make that happen in a big way.”
In other news, Roseland
- Added two new directors, Rebecca “Becky” Nesbitt and Myral Shields. They join veteran directors Warren Carson, Joseph Fox, Eleanor Miller, and Timothy Brown.
- Aeactivated the Homework Center at the request of parents and student advocates to assist with student preparation for end of grade testing and general homework assignments. The program is coordinated by Latisha Miller and Tamara Black, assisted by a number of volunteer tutors from the community.
- Recently received the gift of a rose garden from the Town of Tryon in honor of James Payne and in memory the late Jim Jackson and Carrie Lee Massey, all longtime Roseland supporters. A dedication is planned for later in the spring.
- Is hosting an Evening of Elegance on March 23rd as a fundraising gala to support the Roseland Institute for Summer Enrichment (RISE!), Roseland’s signature summer program for youth ages 6-12. For ticket reservations please call 864-542-5185.
– Submitted by Dr. Warren J. Carson