Polk County Board of Commissioners March 19 agenda
Published 8:00 am Saturday, March 17, 2018
Editor’s Note: following is the agenda for the Polk County Board of Commissioner meeting on Monday. The meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. for a public hearing. The meeting is in the R. Jay Foster Hall of Justice, located on the second floor of the Womack building in Columbus.
1. Call to Order of the Public Hearing Regarding Amending the Polk County Zoning Ordinance & Zoning Map Concerning Equestrian, Equestrian Village, and Multiple Use Zoning Districts – Chairman Johnson. Cathy Ruth, county planner, will present the information.
An Amendment to the Polk County Zoning Ordinance/Zoning Map to include:
1) Rezoning a Certain Area from the Multiple Use District to the Equestrian District (9.57 acres).
2) Rezoning a Certain Area from the Multiple Use District to the Equestrian Village District (3.96 acres).
3) Rezoning a Certain Area from the Equestrian District to the Equestrian Village District (27.36).
The tracts of real property are in the Green Creek Township, and are more particularly identified and described by the map and tax identification number as a portion of P115-1, portion of P115-17, P105-99, P105-141, P105-98,
P105-140, P105-19, P105-73, P105-143, portion of P105-71, portion of P105-45, and portion of P105-78.
A text amendment to the Polk County Zoning Ordinance to include:
1) The table of permitted uses to designate the following uses as “Permitted” in both Equestrian and Equestrian Village Districts:
a) Veterinarian Clinics, b) Church, synagogue, temple, or other religious building, c) Quarantine Facility, d) Schools, public or private, and e) Schools, vocational schools, business schools & special schools.
2) To designate “Recreational Vehicle (RV)” and “Recreational vehicle (RV) & Park and/or Camp Areas” as “Permitted with Conditions” in the Equestrian Village District.
3) Article XII. Definitions, should be amended by adding the following definition:
Quarantine Facility. A facility at which animals regulated by local, state, or federal agencies are restricted and tested prior to being permitted to enter into the general population.
The public hearing was properly advertised in the Tryon Daily Bulletin, and information is included in the agenda packet under Agenda Item #19.
2. Citizen Comments
3. Commissioner Comments
4. Adjournment – Motion to adjourn the public hearing.
5. Call to Order of Regular Meeting – Chairman Johnson.
6. Invocation – Chairman Johnson.
7. Pledge of Allegiance – Vice-Chairman Yoder.
8. Approval of Agenda – Agenda items may be added and/or deleted at this time. Motion to approve.
9. Consent Agenda
A) Feb. 19, 2018 regular meeting minutes’ approval.
B) Polk County QZAB payment for Tryon Elementary – To approve the application approved by the Board of Education on March 12, 2018, to use lottery funds to pay the QZAB loan payment.
C) Acceptance of bid for surplus property- Tax Parcel P22-26 bid of $4,500.00.
Motion to approve consent agenda.
10. Citizen Comments on Agenda Items
11. Citizen Comments on Non-Agenda Items
12. Proclamation Declaring April 2018 Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention Month – BJ Bayne, Co-Chairman of the Community Child Fatality Prevention & Protection Team (CCFP&PT), will present the proclamation. Motion to approve.
13. Polk County Law Enforcement Facility Construction Update – Paul Luzier, Moseley Architects, and a representative from Cooper Construction will be present.
14. Lake Adger Channel Maintenance Dredging – Gary Gardner, North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission will present the information.
15. Silver Creek Waterline Extension – Davis Odom, Odom Engineering will present the information. Motion to approve.
16. Insurance Service Office (ISO) Ratings- Bobby Arledge, Emergency Management Director and Fire Marshal will present the information.
17. Day Camp Fee Structure – Jerry Stensland, recreation director, will present the information. Motion to approve.
18. Animal Control Ordinance – County Attorney Berg will present the revisions to this ordinance. Motion to approve.
19. An Amendment to the Polk County Zoning Ordinance & Zoning Map Concerning Equestrian, Equestrian Village, and Multiple Use Zoning Districts – To consider approval of the amendment subsequent to the public hearing. Cathy Ruth, planner, will be present. There will be discussion on the adequacy of resources. Motion to approve.
20. Schedule a Public Hearing to Amend the Polk County Zoning Ordinance – Cathy Ruth, planner, will present the request to schedule the public hearing in the R. Jay Foster Hall of Justice, Womack Building, to take public comment on a proposed text amendment to the Polk County Zoning Ordinance. Motion to approve.
21. Manager’s Report – Tourism Development Authority (TDA) update.
22. Volunteer Boards for Vote – There are none.
23. Volunteer Boards for Review – Recycling Advisory Board – one applicant, one vacancy.
24. Commissioner Comments
25. Adjournment – Motion to adjourn.