Man sends Columbus police on two chases in stolen vehicles

Published 2:57 pm Thursday, July 6, 2017

COLUMBUS – A South Carolina man led the Columbus Police Department on two different chases in two stolen vehicles in the early morning hours of Friday, June 30 before being captured.

Michael Travis Waddell, 23, of 33 Bridges Ave., Marietta, S.C. was arrested and charged by the Columbus Police Department with two counts of possessing a stolen vehicle, two counts of felony speeding to elude arrest, resisting a public officer, reckless driving, driving while license revoked and driving while impaired, according to police reports.

At approximately 1:19 a.m. on June 30, Waddell was driving a stolen 1999 Honda Civic when he dropped two people off at St. Luke’s Hospital’s Emergency room, according to the Columbus Police Department. A member of the Columbus Police Department attempted to speak to Waddell about his erratic driving. The police department said Waddell failed to comply with instructions and got back into the vehicle and fled the scene, resulting in the first high-speed chase.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Waddell wrecked the vehicle during the chase near Tryon and he fled on foot, according to police reports.

Waddell then reportedly stole a Honda motorcycle and a change of clothing from a Harmon Field Road residence.

At approximately 3:35 a.m. June 30, Waddell drove back to St. Luke’s Hospital where another Columbus police officer recognized him and attempted to stop the motorcycle. Waddell refused to stop, according to police reports, and led officers on another chase. The second chase ended along U.S. 176 when Waddell dropped the motorcycle and fled on foot into the woods.

A short time later, the Polk County Sheriff’s Office took Waddell into custody in Saluda.

Waddell also faces several charges from the Polk County Sheriff’s Office as well as additional charges from the Columbus Police Department, according to reports.

As of Wednesday, July 5, Waddell was still being held at the Polk County Jail under a $50,000 secured bond.