Structure fire burns man and destroys home in Landrum

Published 5:25 pm Monday, February 27, 2017

LANDRUM – A structure fire burned a man and destroyed a home in the 200-block of Butter Street in Landrum, according to Glassy Mountain Fire Department Chief Robert Staples.

According to Staples, the Glassy Mountain Fire Department, Landrum Area Rescue and Fire District and Gowensville Fire Department responded to the scene at approximately 6:52 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 25.

A second call to the Glassy Mountain Fire Department said that the entire home was involved and a man had been burned, receiving second-degree burns to his hands and first-degree burns to his chest and burns to his face. Staples explained there is no word on the condition of the victim.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The victim was flown to Augusta Burn Center, Staples explained. The home was a small structure, about 400 to 500 sq. ft., and nothing remained standing. No cause of fire has been determined, though Staples said it appeared to be accidental.