Just another Monday

Published 12:18 pm Friday, January 31, 2014

Little Neely

Little Neely

Everything leading up to Monday began last week as it usually occurs in my life.

First on the agenda was getting Bear from “Finding a Way” to the vet for his vaccinations and off to his new home.

Late Saturday night I received a call from a lady who is on disability.
Mia, her 7-year-old Beagle mix had damaged her left rear leg and couldn’t put it down.  The poor lady was frantic, so I calmed her down and told her I’d see her Sunday after church.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

At church, Brad and Diane, two friends who adopted Sire (now Tucker) asked if I could find a young playmate for Tucker. I am currently finding a home for their Beastro, another sweet boy. It’s a long story, but trust me, there aren’t any villains here.

As promised I visited sweet and friendly Mia after church and set everything up for her to be brought to the vet’s clinic first thing Monday morning. I escaped without any further calls on Sunday, so Elaine and I took the opportunity to visit some old friends.

On Monday, Dr. Raines and I, along with Brandy, one of Dr. Raines’ great staff members, were off to try and catch Bear and sedate him. As we were leaving, Mia was coming in to be evaluated. I explained that they were expected and Lennie’s Fund will handle things.

For all intents and purposes that’s entirely how my Monday went, but I’ll try to quickly fill in a few blanks.

Bear had to be tricked a little before we could loop a leash over his head and get him sedated. It was fun getting a 100 or so pound lab into the back of my car for the trip. All tests were negative and all shots were given. With the help of Donna’s sister and brother-in-law, Bear was in his new home, a big yard with his old dog house and blankets already there.

Mia’s leg was broken with a few hairline fractures included. She’ll be operated on Tuesday, which by now would have been done. Hopefully as you read this, she’ll be home recuperating with her momma.

I think I’ve found a playmate for Tucker the cat. He is a 7-month-old grey tiger that Elaine and I fostered along with his momma. He’s a sweet, loving and playful and he purrs on contact. I’ll present him to Brad and Diane for approval and I feel certain that sweet Beastro will find a loving home soon.

Now for the photos depicted in this story, may I present little Neely.

Neely is a sweet 8-year-old Chihuahua who was raised as a little pup by an elderly couple. Sad to say his owners passed on and Danielle Scruggs, who knew them, took him on to try and find him a home. Unfortunately, Danny’s three little brats (her words) made life miserable for Neely, who was used to a quiet life.

The healthy, happy and loving boy has been neutered and is up to date on all his shots, so I enlisted Patti Peake, another wonderful rescuer, to assist in finding him a good home. I visited him every day and on Monday I learned that in one week he’ll be off to a perfect home.

As always I’m grateful to Dr. Raines for keeping my fees to a minimum and to her great staff who often go out of their way to accommodate a request I may have.

On Tuesday I will check on Mia to see how her operation went. While there I’ll visit with Beastro and Neely. I’ll try to contact Brad and Diane to show them photos and tell them about the kitten. And then a visit to Mia’s mom to go over what her care should be and to learn more about what caused her injury. Then a quick trip over to see Bear and observe how he’s adapting.

Thanks for listening.