CROP Walk this Sunday, Nov. 3

Published 11:13 pm Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Foothills CROP Walk Against Hunger returns to Harmon Field this Sunday, and the community is invited to join the celebration.

CROP Walk Q & A
What is it? CROP Walk is a community-based effort to raise awareness and funds to bring an end to hunger around the world and at home. Foothills CROP Walks started in 1998, but hunger relief efforts of Church World Service, the sponsoring agency, have been going on since 1947.

Who’s involved in CROP Walk? Churches, businesses, service clubs and civic groups join to raise funds and walk together.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

When and where is it?  2013 Foothills CROP Walk Against Hunger is always the first Sunday in November. This year the walk is scheduled for Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. at Harmon Field.

Why the walk?  In developing nations around the world, many people’s only means of transportation is their feet.  They walk every day, sometimes great distances, in an attempt to meet their family’s basic needs for water and food, which are too often in short supply. Walking shows our solidarity with those we aim to serve.

How does this happen?  There are several ways to get involved. Organizations can become sponsors, underwriting the basic costs – advertising, facility rental, T-shirt printing – so individual donations all go to hunger relief.  An individual may commit to be a walker and collect contributions from friends and neighbors, to be turned in at the registration table on Walk Day.  Others can participate by donating to support a walker, or by making an online donation to Foothills CROP Walk (  And if you don’t know a walker, or don’t have a way to contribute online, just show up and join the celebration on Sunday afternoon.

Where does the money go?  Since 1998, Foothills CROP Walks have raised over $91,500.  $23,000 of these funds (25 percent) have been given to Thermal Belt Outreach in Columbus and Operation Hope in Landrum for ongoing work to meet local hunger needs.  The remaining 75 percent goes to Church World Service for hunger relief and community development around the world.

What’s happening this Sunday? Participants meet at the covered gym behind the Tryon Arts and Crafts building to register, turn in donations and receive a free T-shirt with this year’s CROP Walk logo. Opening ceremonies will include music by Broken Bread and the Polk County High School chorus, and recognition of groups working to address hunger needs in our community. After that, everybody walks.

What should I do? Make a donation or just show up and join the celebration.
– article submitted by David Riddle