Bailey awarded ‘Catch a Second Wind’ scholarship
Published 9:26 am Tuesday, April 16, 2013
The Second Wind Hall of Fame recently selected Marla Bailey to receive a “Catch a Second Wind” scholarship.
Bailey is attending UNC Asheville and will receive a bachelor of arts degree in psychology in August. The scholarship will cover the cost of her summer coursework. She will then continue at the university with education courses and student teaching so that she can become a certified elementary school teacher. Second Wind Hall of Fame is an organization that recognizes retirees who have done outstanding volunteer work in organizations in the Thermal Belt community.
The organization raises funds to provide scholarships for adults in the community who are seeking additional education or training in their current career or in a new career.
Called “Catch A Second Wind” scholarships, they provide needed funds for an adult who:
1. Is at least a high school graduate
2. Has exemplary personal qualities, is a good citizen and is “deserving” and industrious
3. Is already in the workplace (or has been) and has demonstrated a good work ethic
4. Can demonstrate material benefit to be gained by additional training
5. Plans to attend an accredited public or private college, university, community college or a recognized technical or vocational institution.
If interested, an application may be requested by writing to SWHF Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 711, Tryon, N.C. 28782.
– article submitted by Lynn Montgomery