Historic Stone Hedge on Tour of Homes
Published 9:15 am Monday, April 8, 2013
Built in 1935, Stone Hedge started out as a private residence located on 125 acres.
A lake out back was filled in by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) when 1-26 was built. Then, for 30 years the estate served as a bed and breakfast – becoming a popular destination for vacationers and host for many dinner parties and formal dining.
The current homeowners have brought the former inn full circle – turning the now 25-acre estate once again into a private residence.
As you walk in the front door, what was once the dining area is now the living room. The only renovation has been painting the stucco walls and removing the carpet to reveal oak and tile floors. The original carpet still remains on the stairs. A fireplace mantle was carved by Tryon Wood Carvers and Toy Makers.
A men’s sitting room is now an updated half bath and a wall was removed in the women’s sitting room and now serves as an office.
The kitchen received a major renovation. This room was originally added on in the 50s and served as a bedroom for the staff and later as a dishwashing room for the inn. A pantry was created from what was a full bath for the staff. The previous kitchen is now the breakfast room. During renovation, dry wall was removed to reveal a stone wall. Terra Cotta tile replaced the original floor and granite counters were added.