Saluda students use new Little Park as outdoor classroom
Saluda Elementary students have used the new park established next to their school as an outdoor classroom since it was created two years ago. Little Park was established by the Saluda Community Land Trust in 2010 with help from the Polk County Community Foundation.
Fifth graders have mapped the trail through the park using compasses and measuring tapes. The old-school approach gave them an opportunity to use math and simple equipment to produce a fairly accurate map, much the way surveyors did for centuries before the advent of modern GPS and laser technologies. The trail is marked with a sign at the trailhead that includes information about some of the plants that can be found along the trail. The sign and the equipment used in this project were paid for by a Seeds For Education grant from the Polk County Community Foundation (PCCF).
The park was named for George Robert “Bobby” Little III, who lived in Saluda from his birth in 1916 to 1937. Although he left Saluda at an early age and never lived there again, the town and people of the area made a lasting impact on his life and family. His family said they wanted to remember him by helping the town that gave him his start and provided him with warm memories.
The Saluda Community Land Trust purchased the property from Little’s widow, Mildred, at a fraction of the value of the property. The purchase was funded by the Bradley Fund at the PCCF. As a result of these efforts the Saluda students have perpetual access to this invaluable resource.
– article submitted by Ronette Dill