Scholarships to Cannon Music Camp
Published 6:12 pm Tuesday, February 21, 2012
The Laurel Lake Music Society Inc. has announced the names of the high school students who have been selected for a full scholarship to the Cannon Summer Music Camp at Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C. The Cannon Summer Music Camp will run from June 30 to July 21, 2012.
The students selected for scholarships this year are, alphabetically:
• Samantha Bell of Polk County High School (PCHS), clarinet
• Daniel Burke of PCHS, percussion
• Jessie Fisher of PCHS, alto saxophone
• Emily Gage of PCHS, alto saxophone
• Anthony Guiliano of Chapman High School, saxophone
• James Tucker Lawson of Landrum, percussion
• Liana Stadelmann of Landrum High School, violin
• Spencer Taunton of PCHS, percussion
Since 1969, Cannon Music Camp has offered a comprehensive course of musical instruction, with intensive college preparatory work in performance and music theory. Ensemble performance is stressed, along with experience in choir, orchestra, band, jazz and chamber music.
The scholarships are made possible by the donations of residents of Tryon Estates in Columbus. Scholarships totaling more than $104,000 have been awarded to Landrum and Polk County High School students by the Laurel Lake Music Society during the past 10 years.
Organizers said attendance at the summer camp will enhance the music skills of these students and increase their understanding of music. This enhanced understanding is often shared with other students upon their return, thus enhancing the overall school music programs. Al and Stella Hart are the co-chairs of the scholarship committee.
– article submitted
by Al Hart