What do I do now?

Published 3:05 pm Friday, October 7, 2011

On Friday, Sept. 23 around five in the evening I received a call from my cousin Ted.
Ted is the gentleman who found Queenie, the king snake that swallowed the wooden egg.
“What’s up cuz?” I asked.  Ted explained, Frances’ son John was following a car on Route 11, near 14, when a deer ran across the road and the car struck a dog that was chasing it.  “Where’s the dog now, cuz?”
“John brought him to Landrum vet then asked if I’d call you,” he said.
“It’s too late for me to do anything today,” I said, “I’ll check on him tomorrow after my shift.”
Ted went on to explain that it was a yellow Lab mix that was bleeding from its left front leg and shoulder.
“Dear Lord,” I said to myself after our conversation ended, “How am I going to handle this one?”
After my shift at FHS the next day I rushed over to Landrum vet and spoke with Dr. Maiolo who had worked on the dog.
“How’s he doing Tommy?” I asked as he walked me over to the cage.
He was definitely a yellow Lab mix and we both agreed perhaps with Shepherd.
“We’ve stitched him up and we have a drain in him because he had blood in his urine. We’ll have to go in if there’s a bladder problem,” Tommy went on, “but other than that, there aren’t any broken bones and he should heal nicely.”
“Thanks Tommy,” I said as I gave him a hug, which always seems to embarrass him, that’s why I do it. “Put the work on my bill and I’ll check back on him on Monday.”
I opened his cage and sat in with him, he looked fairly young, perhaps around 3 to 4 years old, but I’ll find out more later, I thought. He had that dazed and confused look in his eyes that always tears me apart but he allowed me to stroke him as I tried to reassure him that things would be alright. I gave him my customary kiss as I cleared some gunk from the corner of his eye and as I closed the cage, a name popped into my head.  “Let’s call him Ranger,” I said.
Outside I looked up to the heavens and whispered, “It’s me again Lord, I think I’m going to need some help on this one.”
Over the weekend my cousin Ted canvassed the area to see if anyone lost a dog, to no avail. John (who found Ranger) promised he would try to raise some money to help with expenses. I was grateful for the thought.  I contacted Cowboy (Mike Herman) from animal control on the off chance he heard something. He said he’d let me know if he does.
First thing Monday morning, I went back to check on Ranger and learned there wasn’t any internal bleeding and he was basically good to go home.  “There isn’t any home, Tommy, could you all please hold him here as he heals while I figure something out?” I asked.
They readily agreed that was best for him and after a brief visit with Ranger I left to handle other affairs. All the fosters and rescues are full and the Humane Society is packed to the gills, for now all I could do is pray an owner would show up.
A few days later I ran into Ruth Grubb, president of the board at FHS. Over the years the board members have been very patient with me putting up with my shenanigans but this kind lady tops them all in her compassion for my cause.
“How are things going Lennie?” she asked.  I gave her a run down on all the projects I’m working on and then I explained my Ranger dilemma.
“We could take him on here Lennie if you wish,” she said.
I smiled and gave her a hug, “We’re packed Ruth and he’s still healing but the Humane Society can help in another way.”
“What do you need?” Ruth asked.
“I’d like to get him registered as an FHS dog so he’d at least have an anchor and get on the Internet but I’ll keep him at Landrum vet and keep an eye on him,” I said.
“Get the paper work here and I’ll see that it’s done,” she said smiling.  “You’re the best Ruth.”
“So are you,” she replied as she gave me a high five.
Now all I can do is pray that someone will give this poor sweet boy a home.  I certainly didn’t give him his name so that he could be “The Lone Ranger.”
Thanks for listening.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox