Polks offense erupts, ejects Elkin from playoffs

Published 12:29 pm Friday, November 7, 2008

The Wolverines dominated the Elks in every aspect of the game; from controlling the ball, winning 50/50 chances, to creating, and finishing, scoring opportunities.
Polk outshot Elkin 20-2, and found the net 10 times while holding the Elks scoreless.
Forward Jake Johnson started the onslaught two minutes into the game, sliding past two defenders at the top of the box and firing a shot past the Elkin keeper. In the eighth minute, Tony Sciuva scored from a few yards out with his man draped all over him.
Polk’s first corner kick came three minutes later, and a textbook cross from Cole Weicker was headed in by Heath Culbreth to make the score 3-0.
Weicker was involved in the next Polk goal as well, this time taking a lob pass from Johnson and juking out the Elkin goalie for his first goal of the night.
Forward David Abril finished off the first half barrage with a score in the 25th minute, separating the ball from the charging keeper and putting it easily in the back of the net. Several Wolverines managed to score goals, partially due to good passing and unselfish play, and also because of the fact that head coach Lennox Charles played everyone he could, giving extended minutes to reserves and even junior varsity players. Clay Blackwell was one of the reserves to get into the statbook, as he headed a deflection into the net with 32 minutes to play.
Ethan Sessoms chipped in a goal 19 seconds later, after an accurate pass from Culbreth, and the scoreboard read Polk 7, Elkin 0.Weicker hypnotized the keeper (and everyone else at the stadium) with some magical footwork for his second goal later in the half. After controlling a long pass from midfield, he accelerated past the defense and approached what, by then, was surely a frustrated Elkin goalie. Weicker circled the ball with his foot, bluffing a shot. The keeper sprawled out to his right, leaving the net open for another score.
In the 68th minute, JV midfielder Cole Heimburger thrilled his teammates by knocking in a deflection for Polk’s ninth goal of the match. Seven minutes later he scored the final goal after a cross from Trevor Ennis. Polk keeper Hugo Santos was tested only once by the Elks and smothered the ball to preserve the shutout in the final seconds.
After the teams shook hands, Polk head coach Lennox Charles told his team to “enjoy this win, because it’s not going to get any easier from here on.” He informed his players that they would be taking on Hendersonville on Saturday.
The Bearcats (18-0-2) and the Wolverines (16-1-3) shared the Western Highlands Conference title this year.
“We did a good job of finishing tonight. Finishing the opportunities we got and finishing off the other team. We also stayed focused and unselfish, which can be hard to do in these types of games,” Charles said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox