New Columbus flea market starts this Saturday

Published 10:07 am Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Starting this Saturday, April 12, a new flea market will be held in Columbus after the Tailgate Market every week, weather permitting, from noon to 5 p.m. Like the Tailgate Market, the flea market will be held in front of the courthouse.

Glynn Turk, commander of Columbus VFW Post #9116, asked Columbus for permission to sponsor a flea market in order to help pay for the maintenance of Veterans Park, located in Columbus. Town officials recently approved the market.

VFW officials say a bank account will be opened in a designated local bank and 75 percent of the money collected from selling of the flea market slots will be deposited in this account and go toward maintaining the park. The remaining 25 percent will be used by the VFW to advertise and promote the flea market.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The flea market will start this weekend and is planned to continue through November 22, 2008.

The market is open to everyone. Each vehicle slot will cost $5, and vendors will be allowed to put in that slot a vehicle, a tent and two tables.

If vendors who have purchased Tailgate Market slots wish to keep their slots during the flea market, they will be required to purchase a slot from the flea market.

If you have questions, contact Glynn Turk at (828)-817-6257.