• 86°

Restoration committee grants Polk $18,472 for courthouse bell work

Committee treasurer Bob Worsnop and chairman John Vining made the presentation. The contribution was made to reimburse the county for historical work performed on the cupola during phase 1 of repair work. The complete restoration of the cupola was finished last September. In addition to this week&squo;s $18,472 gift, the committee funded the replacement of the courthouse bell wheel in the summer of 2007.A newly constructed wooden wheel was created to replicate the original bell wheel. The cost of this was an additional $3,500. All of the funds from the Courthouse Restoration Committee were given by private citizens or foundations. In 1999 the committee gave Polk County $410,000 for the initial work performed in 1999-2000. Subsequently the committee has also donated another $35,000 for both landscaping and the decorative street lamps inside the courthouse square. Since 1999, $467,000 in private funds has been contributed to work on the historic county courthouse. The 1859 courthouse is the only permanent courthouse Polk County has had since its founding in January 1855. It is the 8th oldest active courthouse in North Carolina and the oldest in all of Western North Carolina. ‐ article submitted