Protecting patients and staff of St. Luke’s HospitalPublished 11:54am Saturday, December 22, 2012
If you become ill with flu-like symptoms, Dr. Thomas Dashiell recommends the following:
• Stay home and avoid contact with other people, except to seek medical care.
• Take antiviral drugs if prescribed when symptoms first appear to shorten the duration of illness.
• Adults can use over-the-counter cold and flu medicines to get relief from fever and aches. Over-the-counter cough and cold medicines should not be given to children under age 4. Contact your doctor for advice regarding treatment of children under the age of 4.
• Use decongestants and saline nasal sprays to open breathing passages to help you breathe.
• Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids and juices. Avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea and colas that rob your body of fluids.