Student publication’s poetry contest now open to public

Published 8:43 am Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Submission deadline submission March 1

Isothermal Community College’s literary magazine, “The Anuran” is now considering for publication student contributions in the areas of photography, cover design, essay, narrative and poetry.  The poetry segment of this competition is also open to poets at large.

All work must be submitted by the March 1 deadline. Winners and honorable mentions in each category will be published in the Anuran and recognized publicly.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Cash prizes will be awarded in the amount of $100 for first, $50 for second and $25 for third place.

Entrants may submit two poems of any length that have not previously been published. The winner will be notified no later than May 1. Receipt of submissions will not be acknowledged. All winning poems are subject to reasonable copy editing before publication.

This year the college is also excited to announce the addition of a new category: young poets. Anyone in Rutherford, Polk, Cleveland and McDowell counties between the ages of 5 and 12 may enter.

Look through your portfolios, dig through your English essays or send in your best photo, poem or cover design.

Entries should be submitted to Elisabeth Barrows or Erin Balmer, Faculty Suite, Administration Building, second floor. Or, they may be mailed to Elisabeth Barrows, Isothermal Community College, P.O. Box 804, Spindale, N.C. 28160.

For more information, contact Erin Balmer at 828-395-1295 (ext. 1617) or Lisa Barrows 828-395-1295 (ext. 1612).

– article submitted by Mike Gavin