flew

Archived Story

Tryon battles Wednesday morning fire

Published 7:02pm Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Tryon Fire Department quickly saved a home early Wednesday, Sept. 4 after a fire started in the basement.

Tryon Fire Chief Joey Davis said the emergency call was dispatched through Polk County 911 at 7:52 a.m. to 95 Greenstoke Loop in Gillette Woods. Fire departments from Tryon, Columbus and Saluda responded, as well as the Polk County EMS and Tryon Police Department.

Tryon Police Chief Jeff Arrowood arrived on scene at 7:55 a.m. to find a working fire in the basement and removed a resident, who was attempting to extinguish the flames, from the home.

“Tryon fire made an attack on the fire and it was quickly extinguished,” Davis said, while Columbus fire and Saluda fire crews checked for extensions upstairs. The resident who was inside was checked by Polk EMS and refused transport.”

A resident caused the fire while he was attempting to roast peanuts in a small oven downstairs, Davis said, and left the stove unattended. A female resident was alerted by a smoke detector to the fire. The male resident attempted to smother the fire by placing towels in the stove, which Davis said contributed to increased smoke.

Emergency crews cleared the scene at 9:11 a.m.

Editor's Picks

Editorial: Divisive prayer alienated citizens

Everyone deserves the right to free speech. Few will argue this point more staunchly than those who work in the newspaper industry.  Even we have ... Read more  | 2 comments

Bathanti will judge Lanier Library’s poetry competition

North Carolina’s Poet Laureate Joseph Bathanti will judge for this year’s Sidney Lanier Poetry Competition. Bathanti is the author of eight books of poetry as ... Read more