A large sign sweeping across this building in Mill Spring near the intersection of Hwy. 108 and Hwy. 9 acknowledges that sweepstakes games were once available at this location, yet a smaller sign on the door notifies passerby that the business would be closed until further notice. The North Carolina Supreme Court determined earlier this month that all video sweepstakes games were banned in the state. (photo by Samantha Hurst)

Local sweepstakes games shut down

Published 6:52pm Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office and Columbus Police Department have ensured that sweepstakes gaming operations are shut down following a N.C. Supreme Court decision that upheld a ban on video sweepstakes machines.

Polk County Sheriff Donald Hill said officers visited two places of business in the county that had sweepstakes machines; one in the Sunny View Community and another at the Mill Spring Crossroads.

Any video sweepstakes machines could be shut down on Thursday, Jan. 3.

Columbus Police Chief Chris Beddingfield said his office ensured machines at the Texaco and Exxon service stations were no longer in operation on Jan. 3. He said the Texaco was already in compliance and was waiting on the company who owned the machines to pick them up. Exxon still had the machines and was also waiting on the owner company to pick them up.

Editor's Picks