Print Bites on Societal IssuesPublished 5:14pm Wednesday, September 5, 2012
To the editor:
• Privatize Medicare, Mr. Ryan? Just another opportunity for the fat cats to rip us off. When will the billionaires amass enough money and power to let the middle class and poor live?
• The amount of money spent on the 2012 election is disgraceful. It would reduce the national debt; feed the hungry; provide medical care for the impoverished. Secret, unlimited corporate contributions, thanks to a conservative-built Supreme Court are a black hole for Democracy. We must work to maintain a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
• Florida led the way in disenfranchising American voters. Photo IDs and other voting restrictions are aimed at the poor, disabled, elderly and ethnic minorities. The federal government must move against such laws instates which have adopted them.
• An educated, untrained, malnourished, medically deprived people cannot maintain a democracy or an economy. So watch what the politicos want to cut.
• Abortion is not a legitimate issue. Do I approve of abortion? Yes, when pregnancy is the result of a father, brother, uncle, cousin raping a 12-year-old; when pregnancy is the result of any rape; exposure to AIDS; when it endangers the life of the mother for any medical reason; when it is determined that the fetus is so badly malformed that no quality of life is possible. This is not a question for government. This is a question between a patient and her physician.
• When America puts money and manpower into rebuilding the crumbling infrastructure, such as dangerous bridges, our country will regain its strength, economically and morally.
- Maryneal Jones, Columbus