Arts Collaborative offers suggestions for family fun in TryonPublished 5:34pm Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Local families and visitors planning to spend all or part of their summer around Tryon can choose from a number of exceptional activities provided by local organizations.
To increase awareness of these summertime events, the newly formed Arts Collaborative has assembled the following listing as a service to the community.
• Tryon Arts & Crafts School will host five weeks of Summer Sizzler arts and crafts programs for children aged 10 through 14 beginning July 9. Each weekly session runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The programs are held at the Tryon Arts and Crafts School at 373 Harmon Field Road.
For more information, call 828-859-8323, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.tryonartsandcrafts.org.
• Tryon Little Theater and Tryon Youth Center will present “Seussical the Musical,” under the direction of Jenna Tamisiea, at the Tryon Fine Arts Center on Melrose Avenue July 19 – 21 at 8 p.m. and July 22 at 3 p.m.
Tickets are available at the TLT Workshop, 516 Trade Street or by telephone reservations at 828-859-2466. Box office hours are from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Saturday at the workshop and for one hour before each performance at the Tryon Fine Arts Center.
For more information, visit www.tltinfo.org.
• Tryon Fine Arts Center at 34 Melrose Avenue has summer music and art programs for children during the week of July 23 – 27. The classes, which are held Monday through Friday, are the music program Kindermusik, for babies, toddlers, preschoolers and school-age children with their parents or caregivers, 10-10:40 a.m., and the Young Children’s Art Class for 4 to 8 year olds, from 10:45-11:30 a.m.
To find out about special pricing for more than one class or child, call Marianne at 828-859-8322 ext. 213 or visit www.tryonarts.org.
• Tryon Painters and Sculptors (TPS) at 26 Maple Street has a show of paintings by Joan Murphy through Aug. 4 and a Members Show from Aug. 11 to Sept. 22.
TPS will also offer two workshops in July: Grace Lertora will teach a class on collage on July 14-15 and Christine Mariotti will teach a class on batik on paper on July 21. TPS’s new gift shop will open at the end of July. Visit www.tryonpaintersandsculptors.com for more details.
• The Lanier Library, at the corner of Chestnut Street and Melrose Avenue, welcomes members and visitors Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesdays from 4-7 p.m., Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Sundays from 1-4 p.m.